Finding Good Web Hosting
It can be a drag to find a good web hosting service, no matter what kind of website you have in mind. Whether you are doing it to start up a business, expand a company’s online capabilities, or even when finding one for personal use, you will want to get the best services every time. A great feature set will ensure that your web site gets seen across the net, allowing you to advertise yourself without much of a hassle.
Luckily, there are many web hosting packages at bargain prices that a person can choose from today. Flexible bandwidth plans, personalized e-mails, customizable domain names, and other features can help you expand your web site to a wider audience. With so many providers on the market today, things can get a little confusing, so here are a few tips to help you find a web host for your internet needs and wants.
*** We think HostGator is the best web host out there. Learn more now. ***
Definition of a Web Host
A web host is a provider who can rent out web space and bandwidth to people wanting to put up web sites. These web hosts will then give paying customers accounts on their servers in order to construct their web sites with, and will often have the capacity for HTML, flash, PHP scripts and more features to be put up on a web site.
In order for the content of a web page to be seen by everyone else on the internet, files need to be hosted by a web host. Think of how your files on your hard disk work; your music, videos and documents are only viewable on your computer, unless you allow them to be shared on a local network. If you would like your files to be shared on the internet, then you will have to upload them to cloud computing services or file hosting networks.
A web host can host your files for you, so that you may be able to post them up for everybody else to see. This kind of service will allow you to store your files on a virtual web space to be seen on your web site. Web space is measured in the same unit of measurement that files on your desktop are measured in: Bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes.
*** Tip: You can buy pay monthly web hosting services if you’re short on cash but still want to get your website up and running. ***
Basic Elements of Web Host Services
When you find a web host, they may have common feature sets advertised to users:
- Web Space Capacity – The amount of web space allowed to customers will be reflected on an advertisement. These amounts can vary greatly, but most web host services will have amounts that total to about a gigabyte worth of storage space, sometimes more, sometimes less.
- Bandwidth – The bandwidth of a web site refers to the amount of data that is transmitted to visitors. Every time your site is viewed by somebody over the internet, it will need to transmit the data of the site to the user. For example, if your web page is one megabyte large, but ten people view the site in a day, then you will have used ten megabytes of bandwidth already. Some web hosts will require that a website have a minimum amount of bandwidth per month.
- Bandwidth Overage – People who go above the allotted bandwidth limit will be charged with bandwidth overage. Some web hosts will cut off a web site when the maximum bandwidth has been exceeded, while others will simply send a message to the site owner to recommend a bandwidth upgrade.
- Domain Name – This aspect will define the base address of a web site. This also refers to the name you type in your browser’s URL bar. Some web hosts will allow full customization of this aspect, while others simply stick a user’s desired website title beside the web host’s URL. Customizable URL names may cost a little bit more to have, since registration may be needed.
Advanced Web Host Features
Today, users will rarely ever find web pages that don’t have a little more bells and whistles than most. User interactivity, streaming media, and other aspects of a web host can make them more attractive for specific applications, like shopping and business.
- WordPress Support – Nearly 20% of the websites built today utilize the open-source WordPress content management system. Finding the best WordPress web hosting is important if this is the route you’d like to go.
- Support For Extensions – Today, many web pages utilize flashier web site designs that use Flash or CSS. Being able to integrate these into a web page may make a certain web host more attractive over another if the price is right.
- Streaming Media – The prevalence of streaming video and music can also add a bit of flair to a text or graphic-heavy web page. Some web pages, like YouTube or SoundCloud, allow a user to host a video externally in order to save bandwidth hosted on a separate web host.
- Social Networking – The popularity of social networking today can hardly be understated. Today, many corporate and recreational sites allow their users to keep track of updates through social networking extensions. These extensions, like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, usually involve the main web page in some capacity.
- Search Engine Optimization – SEO will allow your web site to rank higher on popular search engines like Google and Bing. Some hosting packages will offer these services with the initial cost, allowing a user to save a bit of cash. Others may require a user to find an SEO service separate from a web host.